The Parent Participation Program at St. Catherine’s is an important and fundamental aspect of our school. It assists in keeping operational and tuition costs down, and enhances the educational objectives, achievements, and experiences for our students. The Parent Participation Program is task-based, giving parents the opportunity to choose a task group that best fits their skills, interests, talents and time.
Parent Participation is not optional, it is a commitment required of all registered families.
Frequently Asked Questions regarding our Parent Participation Program.
Please note that many of the questions relate to our usual program and as such many answers/situations will not be in effect for this COVID 20-21 school year.
Direction is given regarding jobs that need completing by the task group coordinator. It is expected that approximately 80% of hours will be completed within your assigned task group. The other 20% can be fulfilled by tasks such as driving on field trips.
Students 16 years or older who are accompanied by a parent/guardian, may assist with hours with the exception of the Fall Fundraiser evening. Young people under the age of 19 cannot be present during the Fall Fundraiser due to liquor licensing regulations.
Parish Education Committee (PEC)
- Governing Board of the school. Members are voted in via St. Joseph’s parishioners.
Parent Fundraising Association (PFA)
- Help raise funds for St. Catherine’s Elementary School. All members are required to be actively involved in the planning, organizing, preparation and execution of the two main fundraisers.
Parent Support Group (PSG)
- A board of 3 parents who apply for government grants. Members are voted in.
Task Group Coordinator Positions
- Parents who coordinate individual task groups.
Parking and Playground Supervision
- Morning supervision and parking lot crosswalk duty from 8:00 am to 8:40 am one morning per week.
- Assist with Community events as they arise throughout the school year. Typically work consists of event set up, food preparation, and clean up.
- Assist the Librarian with restocking books.
- Meet for 4 hours typically on the last Saturday of each month to do maintenance in and outside of the school.
- In class support person for a primary grade once per week.
- Implement and oversee the annual Book Fair.
Cleaning and Odd Jobs
- Miscellaneous tasks as required. May include cleaning type work as well as some take home work.
- Prepare the Emergency Bins for each classroom. Work begins at the end of Aug.
- PC skills and experience with Windows 10 and Microsoft office 365 including use & troubleshooting
- Put together the Year Book. Must have computer and photography skills.
Sweeping & Weeding
- Sweep and weed the perimeter of the school once per week.
- Provide supervision once per week for Kindergarten students while they eat lunch and then supervise students on the intermediate playground.
Please note that not all task groups have openings each year.
If you would like to switch task groups, please contact the Parent Participation Administrator to discuss other available options.